- Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Netanyahu are under an assortment of investigations.
- Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Netanyahu have changed their opinions radically, especially in the matter of Jerusalem and settlements in all areas of the Land of Israel. Despite earlier statements to the contrary, building is virtually frozen in those parts of the Land of Israel beyond the 1967 border, which Israel recaptured from Jordan in the Six-Day War. Not only that, but building in Jerusalem's post-1967 neighborhoods is frozen too, an unfortunate phenomenon that has caused the housing prices all over Israel - especially in the religious communities - to skyrocket.
- Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Netanyahu, who previously enjoyed good relations with Putin and Russia, have both had the red bear turn from friend to foe. With America, it's a dramatic worsening of relations and a new Cold War. With Israel, Russia has now placed combat forces on our Northern border.
- Both Mr. Trump and Mr. Netanyahu are suffering from aggravation from present and/or former close staffers.
There's more to say, but the above suffices.
What's behind all this?
The Torah tells us in this week's portion Ekev that the Land of Israel is under Hashem's personal supervision (see Deuteronomy 11:12), for she is the Land of Hashem's love (Malachi 3:12). What's more, Jerusalem is called "Hashem's city" and the Temple Mount "Hashem's sanctuary" (Tractate Berachot 44a). Hashem takes special care and interest for that which He loves so dearly.
Mr. Trump should ask himself two questions:
- Who put him in office despite the tremendous odds against him? and,
- Why, after his initial popularity, are the tables turning completely against him?
Mr. Netanyahu would be well-advised to ask himself the same questions. Elul is almost here and it's time for soul-searching.
Emuna answers to the above questions are simple. The entire world, like it or not, revolves around Jerusalem and the Land of Israel. The Almighty put both Mr. Trump and Mr. Netanyahu in office to be loyal trustees of His beloved Land of Israel and His holy city of Jerusalem. When they fail to be trustworthy trustees of this treasured trust and even hinder the ingathering of the exiles by obstructing construction and development in all areas of the Holy Land, then they pay a dear price. This explains what we're seeing in current events today.
As you always hear on Emuna News, there is no such thing as coincidence - world events are Divinely orchestrated. This week is exactly 12 years since the Israeli Government, then headed by Ariel Sharon and Ehud Olmart, destroyed Jewish settlement in Gush Katif (Jewish Gaza) and parts of Northern Samaria, unilaterally giving the land away in the fiasco known as the Disengagement. All the politicians who engineered this debacle were severely punished from Above. Sharon, after a terrible stroke, spent 8 years in a coma before he died. Olmart went to prison for a series of offenses. King Solomon says, "There is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9); in other words, history is repeating itself. I feel sorry for people without emuna, including both Mr. Trump and Mr. Netanyahu; if they only knew what was happening to them, they could rectify their wrongdoing.
It's not too late for both Mr. Trump and Mr. Netanyahu to repent and to make good on their original promises to promote the building of Jerusalem and Greater Israel. Will they? I don't think so. Both are choosing paths of political acrobatics and expedience. They should be aware though that acrobats sometimes suffer dangerous falls. Between emuna and acrobatics, they'd be much better off by choosing emuna. So would we all. Blessings for a lovely new week!