Start by loving yourself. What, you don't like the idea?
Try asking a person if he loves himself: an alarming number of people will respond, "Hey, I'm no narcissist!"
The world is utterly confused about narcissism, a definitely undesirable trait, and loving yourself, which is a key to your happiness, success and emotional health in addition to being the vital element in your relationship with yourself, with others and with Hashem.
Narcissism is extreme self-centeredness and excessive (even exclusive) interest in oneself and one's physical appearance. The narcissist is far from happy, for he craves praise and admiration. He wants to be the center of the show and needs everyone to tell him how great he (or she) is. The narcissist is an emotional cripple, entirely dependent on others.
The person who loves himself is the exact opposite and entirely independent. Like the Simple One in Rebbe Nachman's tale of "The Clever and the Simple", the individual doesn't need any outside reinforcement. He's happy with himself, no matter how seemingly unsuccessful or limited he might be.
Sure, we all want to grow and be better, but we can't make real progress until we love ourselves. Why? If we don't love ourselves, we won't be able to love anyone else. A person who doesn't love himself is never satisfied with himself, with anyone around him or with Hashem even!
If you want to be happy right now, and not wait until you become rich, get elected to the Senate or find the spouse of your dreams, then you must learn to love yourself. If you wait for the dream to materialize, you'll find that even then, you won't be truly happy, because loving yourself doesn't depend on that dream coming true either.
Here's how to love yourself in a few easy steps that take no more than five minutes...
Continue reading Love Yourself in Five, my feature article in this week's exciting new issue of Breslev Israel web magazine.
Also featured this week:
Rabbi Shalom Arush - Proactive Parents
Dr. Zev Ballen - Moving to Israel
Ahava Margaretten - The Thirteen Principles of Modesty
Yehudit Channen - Believing G-d's Love
Pinney Wolman - The Wise and the Wicked
David Ben Horin - Human Metal Detector
Yardena Slater - Commit to Health
Enjoy, and have a lovely new week!
Don't forget this:
Two Fantastic Positions Open at Breslev Israel for Immediate Employment:
1. Breslev Israel has an immediate opening for a fulltime English-language Program Director. This individual will be responsible directly to the General Director and in charge of program planning, coordination, and logistics both in Israel and in English-speaking countries around the world. This opening requires overseas travel that includes approximately four to five annual trips of 14-18 days each. The candidate should preferably be a native English speaker and fluent in Hebrew as well. Excellent communication skills are a requirement and experience in the fields of marketing, advertising and logistics is advantageous. The candidate should also be personable, diligent, a self-starter and a firm believer in the teachings of Rabbi Shalom Arush shlit'a. Excellent salary and incentives package for the right person. The work is based in Breslev Israel's Jerusalem offices. The employment interview will be held in Hebrew. Send CV to email@example.com.
2. Breslev Israel's English Staff has an opening for a fulltime employee who will be responsible for:
- Proofreading content for the Breslev Israel website in English;
- Technical writing for the marketing of products on our website in English;
- Managing social media in English (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, etc.)
The candidate should have an outstanding command of English and Hebrew is preferred. Interviews of candidates will be held in Hebrew. The work is based in Breslev Israel's Jerusalem offices. Send CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.